Meat Free Monday's

I'm always looking for new recipies for meals to make for myself and the family. We've been eating a lot less meat and I have become one of 'those' people who buys sprilized butternut squash. I have never been able to chop and prepare a butternut squash without the mishap of loosing a finger!

Thanks to Waitrose and Tesco who now stock it all ready prepared. I like to quickly cook it in a pan of boiling water, drain and toss it with a couple of spoonfuls of pesto. It makes a great side dish to steamed fish. I came across some other ideas on this website for vegetarian weeknight dinners which I am going to try out. As I know the kids love fajitas and quesidillas and using their hands to eat with rather than use cutlery...

Also I have finally cracked cooking tofu with actual flavour rather than it turning into mush when I cook it. Tofoo Co Naked Organic Extra Firm Tofu  cut into cubes and marinade for as long as you can in satay sauce (I just buy a ready made jar by  Blue Dragon than make it myself for ease). Slide the tofu cubes onto bamboo skewers and grill under a moderate to hot grill. Turn a few times so it cooks evenly. You can serve as a starter but I like to use it as a filling to put inside pitta pockets and load up with crunchy lettuce and cucumbers.

My Weekend fallback is making sushi maki rolls and get the kids involved in helping out. We like to fill the middles with avocado or cucumbers and occasional smoked salmon if I have it in the fridge. Here's a tutorial on how on sushi making video



Do you have any veggie recipies to share?
twosp x

Comments

Popular Posts