Flower Power - Richard Quinn

I have no weddings to go to this year (Royal invite went missing) not even a Christening so I can't get dressed up in my glad rags and snazzy head gear. But I still ordered this amazing dress from Debenhams by Richard Quinn.

It screams EVENT and I don't care if I shall look over-dressed at sports day or the family BBQ this summer. I'm going to get my mileage out of it! Maybe I should try and go to Ascot? I do love horse racing, the sport of kings and used to go to the Epsom Derby. Her Madj QII goes to it and does a drive round to wave at the crowds. 

The pink dress is already sold out, not sure how many dresses Debenhams have made but this is already showing low stock in the size 10. The sleeves look a touch too impractical but I can easily detach and use the excess fabric to make a matching bag or go a step further and make some sort of head piece. I did study millinery ages ago during my fashion student days. I remember wood glue was used a lot to help stiffen the fabric.

Maybe watching all the footage from the New York Met Gala has got my creative juices going again. Back in my student days I used to pick up some fabric from Shepherds Bush market and whizz up an outfit to wear for weekend clubbing. I even used to do the thrifting thing of hunting vintage silk square scarves at Westbourne Grove /Portobello and with a few bits of sewing turn it into a halter top which was perfect to dance the night away... those were the carefree days and the added bonus of only being a 32A.  So no added support needed.

**UPDATE** The dress has arrived today, tried it on, the size 10 fits but is longer on me than on the pictured model - the yellow roses print is more of an acid yellow. But a very good elegant length and shape and I have already taken off the frilled end of the sleeves as it looked too much and swamped me. Plus I would sweep off all the wine glasses knowing what I'm like at social gatherings... The is so much fabric in those leftover frils I could make a matching evening bag, headband, scrunchie etc.


Comments

Popular Posts