Blue Monday

It’s Blue Monday today, the most miserable day of the year according to newspapers, the idea created by holiday companies to get you booking your next summer holiday! TV ads seem to be wall to wall holiday escapes featuring palatial villas, sunny beaches and exotic climates. One way to stave off the blues is to recall happier times, look at your camera roll and reminisce. For the last few years we have rented a former   Fishermans Hut in Whistable. It’s a great base to explore the local area and a proper sea view out of the windows. The beach is shingle but the kids don’t seem to mind and the fresh oysters are terrific. This is where I get my sea food fix. 

When the weather is good nothing beats a good bucket and spade British seaside holiday. My childhood summers were spent in Folkestone and I wanted my kids to have a similar experience. Who needs to go to Spain! Although the children’s peers now seem to holiday in Bali and Dubai (how the other half lives eh?) Not jealous of having to deal with the jet lag and young children.

Try and book a table at The Sportsman  in Seasalter . We went there en famille – rocked up at the pub, wearing shorts and sandy crocs (the kids not me) and had the most amazing Michelin star meal (inc a kids menu). This is when being a family of five is a bonus of us and able to order five different desserts to share – although I didn’t really share my soufflé as I was sat at the end of the table so I was able to fend off the spoon advances…  

Broadstairs is only an hour’s drive away for a proper sandy beach to build elaborate sandcastles. Visit Botany Bay  beach which is normally quieter with many a rock pools to poke about in to your hearts content. 

Photo of me wearing mirrored Le Spec sunglasses. Neoprene Spring suit from ASOS and yes I am using a selfie stick. 

There is also Herne Bay for a good old fashioned pier and amusement arcade. We came away with several stuffed toys having won them in the pellet shooting game and do order a traditional sundae from Makaris. Summer holidays were made to pile on the calories. 

Last Monday was Divorce Day – where couples often feel disillusioned about their relationships on the first working Monday after the festivities. I did text D to check we were OK - he sent me a thumbs up emoji. We text like tweenagers, mostly without the slang and short hand but having discovered how to send GIF’s and stickers and cat photos, it’s been a constant but welcomed distraction at work. I’m making the most of my new EE mobile contract with unlimited texting :-) I’m still trying to work out my phone and discovered if I text in omw it will instantly type ‘on my way’.

I wish the news would have more positive stories – but until the Royal wedding happens I shall keep on scrolling through Instagram to check on the Two tabby cats in Madrid and the Shiba puppy.

Twosp

   

Comments

Popular Posts